SLED Security Officer Training
We are happy to offer training for individuals who need to get their Primary Basic or Primary Plus training from a SLED-accredited instructor. This training is necessary to work as a security officer for a private company, or for an organization that has a proprietary license. We host the classroom training at our office in Downtown Greenville and the firearms portions at our range in North Taylors.
If you are an aspiring security officer, receiving the SLED Primary Basic and Plus training will be necessary to work in South Carolina. Although you can't work as a security officer on your own, if you have been hired by a licensed company, you can receive your training from us. Our instructors are certified by SLED to teach both Primary Basic and Plus classes using the SafeguardSC curriculum.
If you are a licensed security company or have a proprietary license, we can offer classes specific to your employees to get them licensed with SLED's various curriculums. We offer Primary, Primary Plus, and supplemental training as needed. Businesses who pay for their employees training get free training for every 10th student they send. We can offer these classes at our office or yours.
Primary Basic: $100
Primary Basic and Plus: $150
Upgrade to Primary Plus: $100
Primary Basic Recertification: $75
Primary Basic and Plus Recertification: $125
*pricing does not include the application fee to SLED
Requirements to become a Security Officer
SLED may issue or renew a registration certificate to a person who:
- is employed by a licensed security business;
- is at least eighteen years of age; (Must be 21 to be Armed)
- is a citizen of the United States;
- has not been convicted of a felony or crime involving moral turpitude;
- is of good moral character;
- does not unlawfully use drugs;
- does not use alcohol to such a degree as to affect adversely his ability to perform competently the duties of a security company licensee, has not been adjudicated an incapacitated person without being restored to legal competency, and who has no physical or mental impairment which would prevent him from competently performing the duties of a security company licensee;
- has passed a SLED approved pre-employment drug test;
- has not been discharged from the military service with other than honorable conditions; and
- has not been refused a license under this chapter for any reason other than minimum experience requirements and has not had a license under this chapter revoked or suspended.
4-hour class that covers basic security practices.
4-hour classroom portion + 2 hours range testing covering more advanced security practices and firearms use. Students must provide the firearm they will carry on the job along with 100 rounds of ammo.